Mark Twain once wrote, ‘Mauritius was made first and then heaven, heaven being copied after Mauritius’. He was right. This mountainous island, which bursts dramatically from the Indian Ocean is a site for some stunning beaches, lush rainforests and rich cuisine. But to me, it was my home.
There is a list of places to visit when in Mauritius but the southern tip of this Island is one of the most beautiful part about it. People traveling to Mauritius any time soon and don’t have this southern trip added to their itinerary should start rethinking. Just a long drive along the southern coastal line will take your breath away. There are several spots in the southern tip where one could stop and explore but according to me these top the list:
1. Roche Qui Pluere : This place is just hardly 100 m away from the popular tourist spot, Gris Gris but it has a completely different vibe to it. Due to the lack of corals in the surrounding water, the powerful waves crash on the cliff and gives out an illusion of a rock that cries. Once you stand on the shore and witness this, you’ll realise what a spectacle it is. Take a walk around the Gris Gris beaches then and relax in the beauty of nature!
2. Rochester Falls : Mauritius is known as to be an Island of waterfalls and Rochester Falls top the list of the most beautiful waterfalls. The breathtaking scenery, cascading waterfalls, pools of clear water, and luxuriant greeneries surrounding the region, makes it a wonderful site to see and a relaxing experience. Take a leap into these falls and enjoy the freezing waters.
3. Rivere Des Galets : It is a beach located between Souilliac and Bel Ombre and is a famous tourist attraction. The sand on this beach is almost invisible and all you can see are polished pebbles by the crashing of the waves. It is indeed a very unique site and if you’re looking for a photoshoot site then this can be just the place for you!
4. Maconde Point : It is a curved portion of the coastal road between Le Morne and Baie du Cap. This point lets you enjoy a breathtaking view of the Indian Ocean along with the lines of palm trees and the journey to this viewpoint is also nothing but filled with some picturesque seascapes and green forests. Take the stairs embedded in the Maconde rock and admire the impressive view!
5. Le Morne : This beach will always be my favourite. Shimmering turquoise lagoon and gorgeous sunsets are just some of the highlights of this beach. Rather than visiting the public beach, head over to the kite surf beach. I am sure you will have the most soul pleasing time of your life in this true paradise of the tropic!
Southern tip is all about the crystal blue ocean, hidden waterfalls, basalt cliffs and sheltered sandy coves. A trip to Mauritius is an unforgettable one and this part of the Island will be the place where you will make memories for a lifetime. Do add this in your itinerary and have a wonderful time of your life!